Carbon Monoxide deaths

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas emitted by the incomplete combustion of fuel. It comes from wood, natural gas, charcoal, and almost everything else that burns. CO binds to hemoglobin and prevents oxygen from entering or leaving the bloodstream. This means that oxygen that it carries can’t be transferred to the brain, heart, muscles, or any other organ that needs it. Symptoms very widely, but commonly include headache, nausea, flue like symptoms, fatigue, and eventually unconsciousness and death. Recent deaths include Burlington, VT, Miami FL and Sierra Vista AZ.

Things that you can do to prevent CO injury:
1. Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
2. Never use an unvented fuel burning appliance in your home (charcoal grill, for example).
3. Never leave your car or a generator running in an attached garage.
4. Have your combustion appliances tested by a BPI certified building analyst.
More information at the Centers for Disease Control.
By |2011-01-02T03:53:00+00:00January 2nd, 2011|Health and Safety|0 Comments

Leave A Comment