Don’t we all want our homes to be cozy in the winter and comfortably cool in the summer? But what’s the best solution? We’ll help you maximize your heating and cooling by focusing on your attic for the least amount of money.
What are the Benefits of Attic Insulation?
Attic insulation is typically the #1 way to initially maximize your home’s heating because it’s:
- Efficient and low cost,
- Money-saving by reducing energy bills long-term,
- Long-lasting, and
- Hassle-free for trained professionals to install.
Attic insulation will last you at least 30 years! A furnace might only last 10 years before it needs replacing. If you put in cost-efficient attic insulation and your house still gets cold easily, we can consider adding insulation to your walls and floors.
How Much Attic Insulation is Enough?
You can assess whether your attic has existing insulation. If so, is it enough? Here are our findings:
- Anything less than 4 inches is too little. You’ll definitely want to add more.
- If you have up to 10 inches or so, add more insulation may make sense.
- If you have more than 10 inches of insulation, adding more may not be worth the investment. It may be more cost-effective to upgrade to a furnace or add insulation to other places in your house like your walls and ceilings.
Other Problems You May be Experiencing with Your Attic & How to Solve Them
There are some common issues that happen with attics. You may already have insulation in your attic, yet have issues with the cold. We’ve put together a few of the most common problems we see and our recommended solutions. Read below to see if you’re experiencing any of these very fixable problems!
Holes & Gaps That Let Air Escape
If you have plenty of insulation and your house still feels cold, your insulation may be concealing holes that let warm air out. We can save those lost heating dollars with air sealing and damming of heating devices.
Ice Freezing on Roof’s Underside
You have a roof that’s in good shape. However, on really cold nights with no rain, you look up and see water or leaks. What is happening? Find out what’s occurring and how to prevent it at our in-depth blog post Is Your House Dripping? Roofdeck Freezing: Why it Happens & How to Fix It.
Want to know more? Check out the Full Process of Attic Insulation and Ventilation.